Black is white. War is peace. Up is down.
If you followed through and read that entire piece by Glenn Greenwald I linked to earlier, you might have followed a link to this absolute gem which demonstrates how, only a few years ago, the vast majority of the Freeper community was horrified, aghast, appalled, at the loss of civil liberties introduced by Bill Clinton in the form of (here it comes, here it comes, wait for it ...) an expanded, secret "FISA" court.
That's right -- the same FISA court that, these days, is just too impotent and slow-moving to respond effectively to global terrorism and, therefore, has to be circumvented was, only a few years back, a dangerous encroachment and infringement on personal freedom and privacy because, well, because of Bill Clinton's executive order that greatly expanded its powers.
Well, sure, it's only today that FISA is an ineffective joke that forces George W. to break the law by ignoring it, but just look at how dangerous it was a few years ago based on tasty selections from the comments section of that article:
- This is beyond frightening. Thank you for this find.
- This does not bode well for continued freedom.
- Franz Kafka would have judged this to wild to fictionalize. But for us - it's real.
- Any chance of Bush rolling some of this back? ...
- Thanks for the post. Ominous possibilities. Kafka's Trial right on. This, as all law when it breaks down from crashing into individual rights, will default to the 2nd amendment.
- This should be required reading by every FReeper.
It's almost impossible to poke fun at the residents of Freeperville when they do such a stunningly effective job of it themselves.